Summer Job Opportunity for Youth: Publishing Assistant
Job description: The Publishing Assistant will be responsible for assisting both the editorial and marketing teams and will gain a broad overview of the publishing process. Working under the direction of the Publisher and the Marketing Director, the Publishing Assistant may be assigned to either public, print and online initiatives. Candidates should have a passionate interest in the publishing industry. General understanding of the Newfoundland and Labrador book market is a plus, but not required.
- Microsoft Office Suite (In particular Word and Excel)
- Gmail (or other email program)
- Clear, grammatical writing
- Cashier experience (using Square or Visa machine)
- Customer Relations experience
- Research skills
- Social media experience (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Professional Conduct
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and written
Duties may include:
- Office basics: filing, note taking, typing, data entry, postage account use, scanning, sending and receiving packages and documents
- Attending author/ book functions, setting up and promotion
- Selling books at point of sale events
- Attending sales meetings and making follow up phone calls
- Providing customer support
- Writing emails, preparing marketing materials for correspondence
- Contributing to e-newsletters, website, social media, updating website
- Copyediting, proofreading and sourcing images for online use
Please apply with a resume and cover letter in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday May 17 at 5pm.
This is an eight (8) week position at 30 hours per week for eligible youth (ages 15-30) for summer employment. The hourly rate is $11.40. Partially funded by the Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs program.
While we appreciate all interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.